The Pneumatic Flash Calciner (PFC)
Atlas Carbon has licensed the patented Pneumatic Flash Calciner (PFC) for activated carbon production from Diversified Industrial Minerals who developed the technology over the past two decades.
The PFC is a new approach to calcination that reduces capital and production costs. Among others, the PFC
- is faster, simpler, and easier to operate than competing processes,
- showcases unparalleled consistency and yields precisely repeatable results,
- is appreciably less costly than any other technology yielding similar output,
- and decreases plant size for rapid installation performed incrementally based on market demands.
The PFC accomplishes “flash” thermal treatment through vortex pneumatic conveying. This means that
- the process of devolatilization and activation takes mere seconds;
- design scalability allows for units that can produce 1,000 to 4,000 pounds per hour of activated carbon;
- and it is a highly effective solution for activation of materials finer than 20 mesh (the size of beach sand).
The PFC accepts a variety of feed materials, offering adaptability regarding the source being processed.
Distinguishing Process Features of the PFC
Thermal Treatment Reactor Flow Pattern
- The reactor has controllable helical flow zones and turbulent flow zones that can be altered in gas composition and pattern
- Allows for variation in the processing time of different sized particles
- Larger particles are retained longer providing a more complete activation
- Provides more uniform product regardless of particle size
- Provides superior material flow distribution and heat transfer characteristics
Beneficiated AC Production
- Addition of halide and/or sulfur compounds produce a Beneficiated AC product. Beneficiated AC will help oxidize some vapor phase contaminates thus improving adsorption characteristics.
The PFC Technology when compared against Multi-Hearth Furnace and Rotary Kiln Technology has a significant advantages
- Capital Investment: PFC Technology is the lowest capital cost activated carbon production method known
- Retention Time: PFC Technology requires seconds verse hours for conventional technologies
- Carbonaceous Feed Sources: PFC Technology can process Lignite Coal, Sub-bituminous Coal, and Bituminous Coal. In addition cellulosic materials such as coconut, bamboo, and various forms of woods can be utilized with tightly controlled results
- PFC Technology also has lower Operating Cost, Footprint, Warm-up Time and Maintenance requirements